1/14/09

Uncle!!

It has been some time since it happened, but i cried UNCLE yesterday. I got up at 5am for my usual ride to the Anytime to lift, and with a -16 temp and -35 windchill, i decided on the trainer.

Today:
Cold
Hi -6°F

I have to admit, i was feeling a bit soft skipping my usual outside ride, but in hind sight I realize the quality of bundling up like a marshmallow and trying to pedal is not real high. Better off just taking the lumps on the trainer. I did get out for a ski as a lesson i had canceled- and it wasn't that bad. The snow was actually faster than I'd have guessed....wow. It is awesome to have quality skiing for the first time in some years- thanks old man winter. Even though i'd like to have some better outside riding conditions, i'm always amazed how good skiing is for core strength, balance, aerobic fitness...it always seems to translate well to summer success on the bike.
I will admit however, i'm getting excited about my next trip to San Diego. Got my cooling vest yesterday from Cool Vest, and i'm starting to get dialed in on my nutrition and hydration for the race. PICC line?? With just 6 months left, this is getting closer and closer by the second. My wife Megan has agreed to come along and crew now as well which is huge for me. She has crewed RAAM, knows me best and will be an amazing crutch for me over the 10 days of hell. Well, time for an OD ski and lessons in -6 with -30 windchills...is it groundhog day? California Dreaming...

No comments: