12/23/08

Testing

Time for coach to hit the lab. With the days quickly counting down to race start, accurate training intensity is getting more and more critical by the day. Too hard, you are fried. Too easy, not going to make it to Durango! Larry Foss of the Fix Active Studio performed the tests - he uses FaCT protocol that when coupled with good baseline lactate data taken from the warm-up phase (or as a separate stepped test) is hands down the most comprehensive and accurate lactate data one can collect(in my opinon). This also gave me a good benchmark for watts and power to weight ration moving forward. If I'm not consistently increasing my power at threshold (aka showing progress), some component of my training isn't correct and changes will need to be made. Currently I'm putting out 220 watts at my threshold HR(173). Compared to my tests just before i left to race in Alaska when i was totally rested and tapered, I've stayed about the same (was at 228/177 then). I feel pretty good about where i am as i took a break after that race, did tons of easy long base riding, have been doing very little intensity, tons of strength and not getting lots of "quality" bike time (15 below zero and snow)....so as i begin some ski racing now (oh it's going to hurt), and continue my solid riding/lifting schedule, things should continue to slowly progress forward. Then come April and May when i hit the fitness phase hard, i 'm confident my numbers will climb to near 245/180. That will put me at 4 watts per Kilo which is what i'm looking for at race start. The adventure continues.

No comments: