12/8/08

Day 4 - Roll'n Up the Coast

I'll have to admit, i'm tired. I woke up this a.m a bit sore and the legs have a certain ache in them. As i climbed the stairs to the kitchen i realized my legs are worn out....but that is what i need to do. On top of that...lets ride more. Today i decided i wanted to get some easier volume in, so i headed up the 101 to Oceanside. Wasn't exactly sure where i was going, but it ended up working perfectly. As i went through Del Mar, there were some "Radical Dudes" ripping it up out on the surf - looked fun...evidently even Lance surfs? Guess I'll have to try it some day. Anyway, only bummer today is that when i got home and checked the map, i realized i stopped about .5 mile from the actual race start - oh well, I"ll see that in a few months. I guess i could have kept riding up into camp Pendleton as well, but again, i had no idea i was so close. The ride up was sweet - huge tail winds(thus a bit slower home!), a nice little tour of UCSD and just for Sumo, i stopped by Torrey Pines on the way by...what da-ya-know...no tee times available for me??? The ride was good. Ended up with 8hrs on the bike, slow, but steady. This little "mini camp" was a good wake up call and helped me realize just how long and hard this "race" is going to be. I was starting to wonder why i was doing it, and then Larry helped me remember..."if it was easy, everyone would do it...yea it's hard, that's exactly why you are doing it" Enough said.
Tomorrow a.m. before i catch my plane, I'm heading down to the Fiesta Island ride with Dr. Arnie Baker - he has coached Floyd L. and has worked with many RAAM racers...I'm hoping i can pick his brain while we are out riding as i don't think i can afford his $250/hr consult fee. Time for a bowl of Edys and bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well this is really pathetic situation.